Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Golden Gloves Boxing Champ?

In a previous story I wrote about working at Sears Mail Order in Kansas City my last year of high school. During the summer after graduation, I was involved in an incident with another worker that could have ended rather badly.

I was probably 110 pounds soaking wet. A fellow in my department decided he needed to take me down a notch and said he would be waiting for me after work out in the parking lot. I'm a lover -- not a fighter!

I talked to a friend I worked with and he decided that he'd spread the word that I was a Golden Gloves Boxing Champ (there are many weight divisions in this sport). This information made it's way back to the person who wanted to mess me up a bit.

As you can imagine, I cautiously went to the parking lot expecting this fellow to be there and HE WASN'T! I guess he thought I really was into boxing and would know how to take a punch and give some back. He didn't want anything to do with that.

He never messed with me again. The power of suggestion!

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

GREAT story...float like a butterfly, yeah...he didn't want to get stung!