Sunday, June 8, 2008

Private Retirement Party

In early June of 1996, Ann put together a private retirement party for me which included friends from several churches and close friends - non State Farm friends.

This was held at the Claim Jumper in Fountain Valley on Brookhurst Street. We had their private room in back and they served us a very nice lunch. I would estimate we had 50-60 people there. Our son, Rick, was the master of ceremonies for the program and a good time was had by all.

Our family at the time - Hannah was "on the way" and Rachel joined us two years later. Emily is now 19 years old and Eric will be 17 years old this month. This is where you notice the passage of time -- in the growth of your grandchildren.

Part of the program was a "Willie and Julio" duet singing "To All The Girls I've Loved Before". This was sung by Dick Moore and Jeff Harrison. We did that song in a Hootenanny at our church and I had my pigtails on singing Willie better than Willie. (Personal opinion). Jeff and I impersonated the voices for the party and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I'll print the picture of us from the Hootenanny in another post when I write about that event. Dave Cole and I did that song first on a cruise to Mexico in their Talent Show in 1995.

In 1952 I met David Cole in our dorm at Pasadena Nazarene College. When Ann Edwards came to the college in 1953, she and Marlene Webb sang in separate trios and later in a ladies quartet for the college raising endownment money for the school. Marlene started dating Dave who sang in a male quartet for the school and later married him one month before Ann and I were married in 1955. So we (Ann & I - Dave & Marlene) double dated a number of times and became very close friends all these years. They lived in Yuba City in Northern California and came down to my party. Dave retired from his position as Assistant School Superintendent a couple of weeks later and we went up there for his party. Been close friends for over 55 years.


Dave & Marlene Cole with Marlene's cousin Ordell at our party.
The party was one that I will remember for the rest of my life. I've been blessed with wonderful friends and a great family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ihaven't read the blog for a while and was surprised to see reference to Marlene and me. Thanks Dick. We enjoyed the story.

Dave Cole